Saturday, July 19, 2014

Mont D'Or Bakery

Mont D'Or

Mont D'Or is a community of 3 houses. We would probably call it a burg. The house is like our villa and dates to the same age. The villa has 3 families living there all of which are related.   They have started a bakery using their own organic grain that they grow. I have an invitation to go help at the bakery some morning. Of course they start at 5am. Not sure that will work unless I just stay up a couple more hours! Our hours here are definitely different. But I plan to get there at some point and do some training on bread baking. They even have gluten free bread which is very hard to find. It is made with buckwheat. It's rather heavy and quite dark in color. I would love to trade ideas with Stephanie the baker but after some investigation have found it difficult to find any of the main ingredients that I use at Mary's Market where I work in Longmont. 


 
Stephanie is quite artistic and made this beautiful mosaic table made from broken windshield glass, old buttons and broken pottery.  It was beautiful.





Strangely enough Anne who has a gluten intolerance is able to eat a fair amount of the regular bread and things containing wheat without much ill effect. We think it is because they do less genetic engineering of the grain here. Interesting.

 

The villa has a standing order of bread each week. They are only open 3 days a week and if you want to be guaranteed some bread, you had best order it. We order multigrain, regular, chocolate and gluten free bread. They are really good. I love to see them standing on the shelf with their dusting of flour. 



We stopped by their enormous house to meet Stephanie's parents Marie Andre and Bernard. They are great folks who have known Veronique's family for years.  There was an huge fig tree I had to stand next to.  I hope to enjoy some fresh figs here.  The climate is very different.  I'm not sure I have it figured out other than it is definitely coastal.  It changes in a minute so you best have layers and rain gear available.


 We were planning just to say hi and be on our way but when Bernard showed up from the farm, he decided we needed to taste his Vin de Noix. This is a local aperatif. Almost everyone makes their own aperitif wine. I tried some of his as well as some Porto which I also love. Anyway, a 15 minute hello turned into an hour and a half.  What fun.


1 comment: